OMEGA 3 Plus is a powerful omega 3 featuring premium wild-caught essential fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are composed primarily of two ingredients, the essential fatty acids EPA and DHA. In comparison to many Omega 3 supplements, OMEGA Plus contains very high levels of EPA and DHA, in addition to added vitamin D3 (2,000iu per serve) and astaxanthin (250mcg per serve). EPA and DHA are the omega 3 fatty acids your body needs in balanced quantities to achieve the full benefits they offer. Wild Alaskan Pollock Oil provides a near perfect 2:1 EPA to DHA ratio.
Omega-3 fatty acids are very important for normal health and have many and varied health benefits for your body, and in particular your immune system, joints, brain, eyes, and skin. Omega 3 is one of the very few natural ingredients that have been so well studied the past twenty years. Supported by ample scientific research, you will find literally thousands of research papers online confirming the health benefits of Omega 3.
OMEGA 3 Plus has the following Omega 3 profile (per serving size of 2 capsules):
- Omega 3 Triglyceride 400/2001680 mg
- Total Omega 3s1180 mg
- EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)670 mg
- DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)340 mg
EPA - (Eicosapentaenoic Acid)
EPA is a 20-carbon fatty acid found in high amounts in oily fish. Your body is able to absorb and utilise this molecule in its original form. Your body uses EPA to produce “signalling” molecules called eicosanoids (precursors to series 1 and 3 prostaglandins). Prostaglandins play numerous physiological roles and in particular have been linked with increasing, decreasing or balancing inflammation in the body. Research has shown that EPA helps to balance pro and anti-inflammatory proteins in the body.
DHA – (Docosahexaenoic Acid)
DHA is a long-chain fatty acid (22-carbon molecule) and found in high amounts in oily fish. Your body can convert DHA back to EPA in order to keep them at fairly balanced levels. DHA is essential in particular for proper neuronal (nervous system) and retinal (eye) function. DHA is found in high amounts in the brain, the retina, mother's milk, and crosses the blood-brain barrier readily, protecting cell membranes from toxin induced oxidative damage.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids Health Benefits Supported by Science.
The following health benefits regarding Omega 3 come from well researched and peer-reviewed scientific studies mainly from the past twenty years. Here are a few of the many key benefits of adding Omega 3 to your diet:
- Mood disorders. Omega 3 can help those with anxiety and depression. Several studies have found that those with mood disorders who regularly take omega 3 supplements tend to have improved symptoms of anxiety and depression than those who don’t. 1, 2. The Omega 3 fatty acid EPA has been shown in a study (published in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry) to be just as effective as one of the most commonly prescribed antidepressant drugs.3
- Ocular (eye) health. The essential fatty acid DHA is one your eye’s major structural components.4 Having sufficient in your diet is essential for maintaining optimal eye health; deficiencies of Omega 3 have been linked to various eye diseases as well as cognitive dysfunction.5 Macular degeneration is one of the world’s leading causes of blindness, deficiencies of DHA have been linked with this eye disease.6
- Heart health. Omega 3 essential fatty acids can help improve risk factors for heart disease. Scientists have found that indigenous cultures from around the world (in countries such as Alaska, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, etc.) who have diets high in fish tend to have lower rates of heart disease. Omega 3 essential fatty acids were found to be the nutrient conferring the heart health benefits. 7, 8 Omega 3 can help to lower blood pressure9, reduce blood clotting10, reduce triglycerides11, prevent arterial plaque formation12, increase HDL (“good” cholesterol)13, and reduce inflammation14
- Musculoskeletal health. Omega 3 essential fatty acids can help to positively support joint and bone health. Omega 3 supplementation by those with arthritis has been linked to reductions in pain and improvements in both muscle strength and grip.15 Omega 3 supplementation has also been linked with improving bone strength due to its ability to increase calcium uptake, leading to a reduced incidence of osteoporosis.16
- Sleep quality. Poor levels of the essential fatty acid DHA have been linked with the poor production of the sleep hormone melatonin.17 There are many studies that have shown a link between omega 3 essential fatty acids and the sleep quality as well as the duration of sleep.18
- Reduce inflammation. Inflammation is a normal and appropriate response of your body’s immune system to infections and injuries. However, when inflammation becomes an ongoing and chronic problem, even low-grade inflammation can become one of the drivers of most all chronic disease including heart disease19, and other health issues 20.
- Cognitive function. Omega 3 essential fatty acids are very important for the brain development of infants and young children in particular. Numerous well-researched papers have documented the benefits of omega 3 supplementation to infants, children and young adolescents, including higher intelligence, fewer behavioural issues, reduced risk of ADHD, better communication and social skills as well as a reduction in developmental delay.21, 22
- Autoimmune disease. Autoimmune disease is a disease of your immune system when healthy cells are mistaken for foreign cells and attacked. Studies have found that getting ample omega 3 fatty acids early in life (especially the first few years) has been linked to a reduction in autoimmune disease, including Type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis.23 Omega 3 supplementation has also been linked to improving the symptoms of those with existing autoimmune conditions such as ulcerative colitis, psoriasis, Crohn’s disease as well as rheumatoid arthritis, a painful condition.24, 25
Health experts today agree that Omega-3 fatty acids are vital for optimal health. It is always best if you can obtain your Omega 3 from eating fresh fatty fish at least two to three times weekly, but this is not always possible or desirable for many. If you don’t have a diet for example high in fatty fish such as mackerel, tuna, sardines, herring, and anchovies, then supplementing your diet with an Omega 3 supplement such as OMEGA 3 Plus is a cost-effective and powerful way to improve your health.
OMEGA 3 Plus Suggested Use:
- Adults take two capsules daily with a meal.
- 2 soft gels = 1,180 milligrams of omega-3 fatty acids.
Each dose of OMEGA 3 Plus contains 50 mcg (2,000 iu) of vitamin D3. Vitamin D is fat-soluble, meaning it needs a fat source to be absorbed properly. Combining Vitamin D with the omega-3 fatty acids found in OMEGA 3 Plus can help facilitate adequate vitamin D3 absorption into the body.
Vitamin D is also known as the “sunshine” vitamin, an essential vitamin that plays several critical roles in the proper functioning of the body. Vitamin D is thought to play a role in cardiovascular disease by affecting inflammatory mediators.
Immune health. Vitamin D is especially important for the wellbeing of the immune system. A study conducted in 2020 revealed that those who were hospitalized with Covid-19 who had sufficient levels of vitamin D were the patients who suffered less from adverse outcomes and even death.26 Many people don’t get sufficient sunlight or dietary sources of vitamin D and may be at an increased risk of disease. Research has shown that having healthy vitamin D levels can assist in keeping your immune system in good shape, protecting against coughs, colds and respiratory illness.
Each dose of OMEGA 3 Plus contains 250mcg of Astaxanthin (pronounced "asta-zan-thin"). Astaxathin is a naturally occurring carotenoid found in particular in algae, but also in salmon and in crustaceans such as shrimp, lobster, and crab it is responsible for the pink or red coloration of crustaceans and salmon meat. Carotenoids are yellow, orange, and red organic pigments that are produced by plants and algae, as well as certain kinds of bacteria, and even fungi. For example, beta-carotene is found in high amounts in carrots and is responsible for their orange colour. Astaxanthin is red in colour and has been called the “king” of carotenoids; it is a powerful antioxidant with broad health implications.
- Anti-inflammatory. Research has found that astaxanthin has anti-inflammatory and even pain-relieving properties. Astaxanthin has the ability to reduce inflammation, one of the key drivers of chronic disease. This carotenoid even has the ability to block the same enzyme (COX-2) that the popular drug Celebrex blocks, a drug commonly prescribed for acute pain, osteoarthritis, period pain, as well as auto-immune disease inflammation such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, etc.27
- Powerful antioxidant. Studies have discovered that astaxanthin has powerful free-radical quenching ability. A study published in 2016 suggested that, beyond its colouring properties, astaxanthin exhibits important free radical scavenging, oxygen quenching, and antioxidant activities.29 Astaxanthin shares both hydrophilic (water-loving) and lipophilic (fat-loving) properties, giving it the ability to protect both the water as well as the fat components of the body’s cells. Antioxidants are active either in water (like vitamin C) or fat (like vitamins A and E), but never generally both.
- Improved recovery. Astaxanthin can help improve the recovery of muscles after exercise.28 Some scientists believe that astaxanthin can help athletes recover just like it helps the salmon during the salmon run, a time when salmon have migrated from the ocean and swim to upper reaches who often have to swim strongly for long distances upstream, finally spawning on gravel beds. Salmon are known to climb waterfalls in their quest to swim upstream.29 Salmon’s pink coloration is due to its astaxanthin content, a carotenoid that can assist in the recovery of muscles, improve endurance and strength as well as energy levels.
- Supports skin and eye health. Astaxanthin has been shown through studies to help protect the body’s largest organ, the skin. Improved skin health parameters include increased skin smoothness, improved skin moisture levels, improved skin elasticity and protection from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation.30 Research has found that Astaxanthin has the ability to reach your eye’s retina. Well-designed clinical trials have shown that astaxanthin can help those with eye strain, improve the ability to see close-up in more fine detail in addition to supporting eye diseases such as macular degeneration, and even diabetic retinopathy.31
Why create another Omega 3 product, when there are so many fish oil supplements already? You will find Omega-3 supplements almost anywhere dietary supplements are sold, in your local health food store, grocery stores, the Internet, and in your local pharmacy.
Naturopath Eric Bakker’s aim was pure and simple. To create a powerful Omega 3 formulation with a high level of biological activity caught from a sustainable source using the latest solvent-free technologies for omega-3 extraction. OMEGA 3 Plus contains one of the world’s purest forms of Omega 3’s, fresh C Oil, sourced from one of the world’s most sustainable fisheries.
All of our NZ Formulations products, including OMEGA 3 Plus, are non-GMO, dairy and gluten free, we don’t use artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. All of our raw materials are (including our fish oils) are sustainably sourced, because we care about the environment and believe you do too. Our products are unique formulations you won’t find elsewhere. They have all been thoroughly tested, from the raw ingredients through to manufacture to surpass the strictest international measures of quality and safety.
Important features of NZ Formulations OMEGA 3 Plus are:
- Of single origin species (Wild Alaskan Pollock).
- Our fish oil originates from a pure and pristine location, the Bering Sea.1
- The fishery is sustainably managed and approved by the MSC.
- It been fortified with extra vitamin D3.
- It has it been fortified with carotenoids.
OMEGA 3 Plus is in triglyceride form, proven to be the best form for absorption
One of the most important feautures of our OMEGA 3 Plus is that it is delivered in a triglyceride molecular form, the form of Omega 3 naturally found in fish. If you spend a little time yourself and check the research, you will soon that several important studies indicate that the triglyceride form of Omega 3 is better absorbed than the ethyl ester (EE) form of Omega 3.2
Most fish oil supplements come from exploited fisheries
Have you ever considered what species of fish are used to make your omega 3 fish oil supplement? How and where were the fish were caught? How and where was the oil processed?
Many people are surprised to hear that most all Omega 3 fish oil supplements for sale in the USA are made from the Peruvian anchovy, caught in South America. When the fish species is not clearly named, the Omega 3 will most likely will be sourced from anchovy oil.
The Peruvian anchovy fishery has been called “the most exploited fish in world history” by the FAO (The Food and Agricultural Organization of The United Nations). GOED 3 (Global Organization for EPA, DHA) estimates that more than 80 percent of all Omega 3 fish oil dietary supplements (including those sold in the USA) are made from Peruvian anchovy, an exploited South American fishery. Anchovy fish oil is used in nearly every major brand of Omega 3 fish oil supplement sold, in health food stores, pharmacies, whole-foods market places, specialty supplement companies, the internet, and all the big retailers including Amazon, IHerb, Wal-Mart and Costco.
Anchovy Oil Example from the Internet
Why Wild Alaskan Pollock oil?
Alaska Pollock is considered to be the most well managed large-scale fishery in the world1, and the largest commercial fishery in the United States. Living in icy cold and pristine waters of the Bering Sea, wild Alaskan pollock are a premium and sustainable natural source of high-grade and clean protein as well as Omega 3 fatty acids. Wild Alaska pollock is regarded as one of the healthiest natural sources of fish protein in the world, and in the low-risk category for environmental toxins, such as mercury and pesticides. Wild Alaskan Pollock stocks are not overfished and spawning biomass and 2018 targets are above the level for all three stocks.3 This makes Wild Alaskan Pollock fish oil the best choice for a sustainable Omega 3 supplement.
The key reasons Wild Alaskan Pollock Oil was chosen for OMEGA 3 Plus:
- The fish live in pristine icy cold waters, very low-risk for pollutants.
- Fisheries have a proven record of good fisheries management.
- Certified Sustainable by the MSC (Marine Stewardship Council). 1
- Wild caught fish harvested and processed entirely in the United States.
- Wild-Alaskan Pollock Oil falls in the Omega-3/6 ratio of 13 to 14, one of the highest ratios in any fish oil, a typical Omega-3/6 ratio range as low as 3 to 4.
- Wild-Alaskan Pollock Oil is produced from human food processing plants.
- The entire fish is used; nothing is wasted.