Keeping your immune system healthy is key in not only preventing infections, but also in assisting in the prevention of many kinds of acute and chronic diseases. In order to boost your immune system naturally we encourage you to make healthy lifestyle choices by consuming healthy fresh foods, drinking fresh water, and getting plenty of sleep and regular exercise, for they are and always will be the most important ways to keep your immune system in peak condition.
In addition, research has shown that supplementing with specific vitamins and minerals can improve immune response and potentially protect you against getting sick, and reducing the duration of illness as well. However, note that some dietary supplements can interact with prescription or over-the-counter medications you maybe taking. We therefore encourage you to talk with your healthcare professional before starting C-3K Plus if you are taking pharmaceutical drugs on a regular basis.
Here are now the seven key ingredients that make up the powerful supplement called C-3K Plus, designed to support your immune system to the MAX.
1. Vitamin A (Beta carotene)The human body converts beta carotene into vitamin A, making beta carotene a precursor of vitamin A. We added 3mg (3,000mcg) of beta carotene to each dose of C-3K Plus. Beta-carotene is considered the safest dietary source of vitamin A, a vitamin considered essential for normal growth and development, immune system health, healthy skin and vision. Beta carotene has been found to be particularly helpful for those who are older, and in particular those who don’t smoke. Some studies have shown that smoking and taking supplemental beta carotene is linked with an increased risk to lung health.4 We encourage you not to smoke.
Reasons why Beta Carotene was added to C-3K Plus:
- Improved immune function. Beta carotene has been shown to stimulate the production and activity of immune cells, an action that appears top be separate from their role as a precursor to vitamin A . Studies have also found that in healthy people, beta-carotene enhances the function and activity of immune cells. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition mentioned that anti-oxidative vitamins such as beta-carotene are particularly effective in modulating immune functions and host defence against microorganisms or other invasive processes.6 The elderly. Several double-blind studies have revealed that older people have improved immune function and even a reduced rate of infections when taking antioxidants like vitamin C, E in addition to beta-carotene. 7 Similar studies have also found that antioxidant supplements tend to work better when taken with minerals such as calcium, magnesium, potassium, manganese, zinc and copper. All of these minerals are in the C-3K Plus formula, along with the antioxidants vitamins A, C and E and bioflavonoids.
- Antioxidant. Beta carotene is considered an important and primary dietary antioxidant compound that neutralizes unstable molecules called free radicals. When free-radical damage becomes elevated in the body it can lead to damage of the body’s cells and even tissues, known as oxidative stress.5
- Lung protective effect. The British Medical Journal (BMJ) published a study in 2006 that showed that elevated blood beta carotene levels compensate for lung damage to the lungs caused by oxygen free radicals.1
- Skin health. Beta carotene has been found to boost your skin’s health, likely due to its powerful antioxidant effects. A 2012 study found that getting ample amounts of Beta carotene in one’s diet can increase the skin’s defenses against ultra-violet (UV) radiation and help to maintain a youthful appearance of ageing skin.2
- Eye health. Several studies have shown that having high blood levels of beta carotene may reduce the risk of developing advanced age-related macular degeneration by as much as 35 percent.3
Beta Carotene References and Studies
2. Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)
Vitamin C is likely one of the most popular dietary supplements taken to protect against bacterial and viral infection due to its important role in immune health. This water-soluble vitamin supports the function of many immune cells and enhances their ability to protect against many types of infections. Vitamin C is even necessary for cellular death, which helps keep your immune system healthy by clearing out any old cells and replacing them with new ones.
C-3K-Plus contains over 3000 milligrams of vitamin C per dose*, considerably more than you will find in a comparative vitamin C product online. One of the main reasons people take vitamin C supplements is to boost their immune system, because more than fifty years of research has revealed that vitamin C is involved in many aspects of immune system health. Vitamin C helps to encourage the production of all white blood cells, which help protect the body against bacterial and also viral infections.
Reasons why Vitamin C was added to C-3K Plus:
- Vitamin C acts as a primary antioxidant 1 and has been found through research to fight variety of health issues.2
- Vitamin C has many significant immune modulating properties3 in addition to having a positive effect on allowing the body to adapt to stress as is vital for healthy adrenal function.4
- Vitamin C significantly increases wound healing and reduces the inflammatory response.5
- Vitamin C is essential for the production of collagen, the substance that forms the body's connective tissues (bones, cartilage, tendons, ligaments).6
- Supplementing with vitamin C has been shown to reduce the duration and severity of upper respiratory tract infections, including the common cold caused by a virus.7
- A large review of 29 studies in 11,306 people demonstrated that regularly supplementing with vitamin C at an average dose of 1–2 grams per day reduced the duration of colds by 8% in adults and 14% in children.8
- Regularly taking vitamin C supplements reduced common cold occurrence in individuals under high physical stress, including marathon runners and soldiers, by up to 50%.9
* One dose is a 6.75 gram scoop, included in the C-3K Plus container
Vitamin C References and Studies
3. Lemon Fruit Peel Powder (Lemon Bioflavonoids)
High-quality lemon fruit peel powder was chosen being the most powerful source of citrus bioflavonoids, a class of water-soluble plant pigments. “Bioflavonoids” is the collective name given to rutin, hesperidin and quercetin and a range of other naturally occurring compounds. Bioflavonoids are powerful antioxidants, just like vitamins A, C and E. They are all found together including a high dose of citrus bioflavonoids in C-3K Plus. Studies have suggested that the flavonoids found predominantly in the peel in Citrus Limon (lemon) in particular possess numerous important biological functions, including antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, anti-viral, anti-proliferative, anti-mutagenic, and anti-carcinogenic activities.1
Antioxidants are important and can assist your body in reducing the effects of free radical damage, toxic by-products of chemical reactions that take place in the many millions of cells throughout your body every single day. Your body is continually exposed to the effects of free radicals through exercise, pollution, smoking, alcohol, processed foods, city life, stress and many other factors. Free radical production is a normal biological process, but when free radicals overwhelm the body’s capacity to deal with their destructive effects, disease processes can more readily develop in the body. Today more than ever it is vital to ensure your body’s cells have the ability to “quench” these free radicals before they become a cause of chronic disease.
We added over 1 gram (1084 mgs) of high quality lemon fruit peel powder per dose because we wanted to provide high levels of the naturally occurring bioflavonoids rutin, quercetin and hesperidin, the amount was necessary in order to optimize the action and uptake of vitamin C. Bioflavonoids and vitamin C appear to work together in the body. Researchers believe that any health benefits credited solely to vitamin C actually may be due to the combined action of vitamin C and bioflavonoids, in particular rutin, quercetin and hesperidin, all found in high amounts in citrus bioflavonoids.
A 5 minute check on Google will reveal that most vitamin C supplements currently available contain only ascorbic acid as their main and active ingredient. Bioflavonoids are generally sold as a separate dietary supplement at an additional cost to the consumer. Without the bioflavonoids found in all vitamin C-rich fruit and vegetables, ascorbic acid becomes less well absorbed and less bio-available.
Foods high in flavonoids include fruits and vegetables, many herbs, nuts and seeds, cocoa, as well as green tea. The highest levels of bioflavonoid levels can be found in and just under the skins of fruits and vegetables, particularly the skins of blueberries, black currants, grapes, citrus fruits, cherries and green peppers. However, many of these foods are not commonly consumed on a regular basis by the majority, and therefore sufficient dietary sources of bioflavonoids may be unavailable to many.
In nature, vitamin C and bioflavonoids are generally always found together in their optimal ratios. Just like vitamin C, the human body cannot produce bioflavonoids; therefore they must be supplied through the diet. Research has shown that when you pair vitamin C with bioflavonoids you get significantly more immune boosting support 2. The C-3K Plus formula combines vitamin C with bioflavonoids that helps recycle vitamin C, thereby prolonging the scavenging ability of the vitamin C electron. Bioflavonoids enhance the absorption and antioxidant activity of vitamin C and in addition help to maximize vitamin C benefits by inhibiting its breakdown in the body.
Reasons why Lemon Fruit Peel Powder was added to C-3K Plus:
- To enhance the action of vitamin C. Flavonoids influence the ability of vitamin C to be absorbed and utilized by the body.
- Allergies. The development of allergies is often associated with an excess of oxidative stress in the body. Bioflavonoids help scavenge free radicals and stabilize ROS (Reactive Oxygen Species). This can lead to a reduced frequency of allergic responses. Bioflavonoids have also been linked with a reduction in respiratory inflammation that contributes to diseases like asthma, bronchitis, and even COPD.3
- Antimicrobial. Recent research has shown that bioflavonoids may well have antimicrobial properties. Different flavonoids have been shown to help fight infection against different microorganisms.
- Circulation. Bioflavonoids have been linked with blood flow to the brain, which may help to prevent stroke. Improved blood flow may also mean better brain function or even improved cognitive function. The antioxidants found in bioflavonoids help to protect your heart and lower your risk of death according to research.
Citrus Bioflavonoid References & Studies
4. Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese and Zinc Ascorbates
C-3K Plus is gentle on the tummy and digestive system, and also includes mineral ascorbates.
Reasons why Mineral Ascorbates were added to C-3K Plus:
- Additional vitamin C. Mineral ascorbates are minerals composed of a mineral cation bonded to ascorbate (the anion of ascorbic acid). C-3K Plus contains almost an additional 1000 milligrams of vitamin C per dose due to the added calcium, magnesium, potassium, manganese and zinc ascorbates.
- Ph balanced. C-3K Plus delivers the highest amount of ascorbic acid your body can readily utilize, plus it is pH balanced to neutralize the excess acidity of the ascorbic acid. It does by using several mineral ascorbates to balance the pH, the optimal way, making it more gentle on the gut and pleasant to take, even when taken in high doses. Ascorbic acid is naturally acidic and high doses may cause an upset stomach and loose stools for some.
- Mineral supplementation. The five mineral ascorbates, in addition to balancing the pH and reducing acidity, also provide highly absorbable forms of the specific minerals magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese and zinc. Those with compromised immune systems need to fully utilize vitamin C and to boost their immune defences. Minerals are essential for the formation of antioxidants inside your cells, such as superoxide dismutase (SOD), that help prevent free radical damage, and free radical activity tends to increase during times of poor immune function and stress.
- Muscle support. C-3K Plus combines the minerals magnesium, potassium and calcium as additional sources of macro mineral supplementation, for supporting proper muscle relaxation and contraction.
- Optimal absorption. Additionally, the speed at which vitamin C travels through the digestive system is reduced by the added minerals magnesium, potassium and calcium, allowing more time for optimal absorption.
5. Vitamin E (D-Alpha Tocopherol Succinate)
In addition to vitamin C, each dose of C-3K Plus contains 250mg of the antioxidant vitamin E, a potent antioxidant, found in higher concentration in immune cells compared to other cells in blood and is one of the most effective nutrients known to modulate immune function. 1
- Vitamin E was added to help recycle vitamin C.2
- Powerful immune effects. Vitamin E enhances the body’s T-cell mediated function without adverse effects. This antioxidant also enhances resistance to many viral diseases. 3 In a healthy immune system, T cells are deployed rapidly to fight and eliminate viruses. When the immune system is weakened however, your body’s T cell immune response is impaired and viruses continue to replicate rapidly throughout the body. Vitamin E is the key that unlocks your immune system’s ability to generate an increased number of T cells and deploy them to fight disease, especially viral illness. Research has shown the beneficial effects of vitamin E’s immune-enhancing properties, particularly in those populations that have the greatest decline in immune function, children and the elderly.
- Skin health. Vitamin E is the most abundant antioxidant found in human skin. The primary role of vitamin E on skin is to prevent free radical damage, especially from the sun. Vitamin E supplementation can help to strengthen and fortify your skin, with immune building capabilities above the surface as well as below the skin’s surface.4
- Prime antioxidant. Vitamin E as an antioxidant helps to destroy free radicals, which are molecules that scavenge throughout the body, attach where they don’t belong and damage healthy cells and eventually lead to cardiovascular disease. Free radical damage can in addition cause the clogging of arteries (stroke, heart attack) and even contribute to other health issues. Regular exposure such as cigarette smoke, pollution, and ultraviolet rays from the sun expose the body to free radicals. Free radicals are not only a product of pollution, they also naturally form in the body as a reaction to oxygen, forming what is known as “reactive oxygen species” (ROS), unstable molecules that form when the body converts food to energy. Any build-up of ROS can damage a cell’s DNA, RNA, and even cause the death of a cell. Antioxidants such as vitamins C and E in particular stop the production of ROS and therefore protect the body from harmful molecules that form. Therefore, as an antioxidant, vitamin E is one of the best vitamins for the immune system because it helps the body fight off harmful molecules and disease development as well as boost T-cell production, making the body increasingly resistant to viruses.
Vitamin E References & Studies
6. Zinc (Zinc chelate and Zinc ascorbate)
Zinc is found in virtually every cell throughout the body. Your body needs zinc to make proteins and DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Just like vitamin C, many people today take zinc supplements to help boost their immune system, because zinc is not made by the body and is most essential for immune system function and helps the immune system fight off invading bacteria and viruses. Zinc is responsible for both immune cell development as well as aiding in immune cell-to-cell communication.
Lower levels of zinc are generally associated with age, eating a vegetarian or vegan diet, compromised immunity, IV nutrition as well as severe burns. Although severe zinc deficiency is uncommon, a mild deficiency of zinc is common in the Western world and can have a wide range of symptoms due to the use of zinc in so many bodily enzyme systems, over 300, including all 6 classes of enzymes in your body.8
You won’t need to purchase zinc as a separate dietary supplement, because each dose of C-3K Plus contains 11.5 milligrams of zinc (zinc chelate and zinc ascorbate). Taking zinc long term is safe for healthy adults, and a daily dose of 40 mgs or less of elemental zinc has shown to have no long-term ill health effects.1
Reasons why Zinc was added to C-3K Plus:
- Reduces risk of infection. A deficiency in this nutrient significantly affects your immune system’s ability to function properly, resulting in an increased risk of infection and disease, including pneumonia.1, 2 Several studies have shown that zinc may protect against respiratory tract infections like the common cold. 4, 5 Besides protecting against respiratory tract infections, zinc can also help reduce the duration of colds.7
- Improves recovery time for those already sick. A study as recent as 2019 has revealed that zinc supplementation decreased the not only the amount of time hospitalized children were infected with acute lower respiratory infections, it also showed that zinc reduced their duration of hospital stay by two days.6
- Zinc deficiency. Zinc deficiency is very common, it has been estimated that around 2 billion adults have zinc deficiency worldwide. Research has shown that over 30 percent of adults are now considered zinc deficient.3
Zinc References & Studies
7. Copper (Copper Bisglycinate Chelate)
Copper is an important mineral to take along with zinc. Copper is used by your body in energy production and to support bone, skin, neurological, and cardiovascular health. Along with zinc, copper is a component of superoxide dismutase, an important antioxidant enzyme utilized by the immune system.
Reasons why copper was added to C-3K Plus:
- Copper/Zinc ratio. Taking zinc long term may interfere with copper balance and absorption. We have added 0.75 mg of copper to the C-3K Plus formula to create a 15:1 ratio of zinc to copper, the ideal ratio, making long-term dosing possible without creating an imbalance.
- Immunity. Recent evidence suggests that copper exacts an important role in the maintenance of immune function. Copper deficiency results in decreased humoral and cell-mediated, as well as nonspecific immune function.1
Copper References & Studies